The Peach

Proudly providing the reality-based community with the juice on politics, media, religion and culture

Monday, September 13, 2004

You Know The Bill of Rights is In Danger . . .

. . . When an employer can get away with firing an employee for being a Democrat. We wish this wasn't a true story, but it is. The Decatur (Ala.) Daily News reports that Lynn Gobbell of Moulton, Alabama was fired from her job for sporting a Kerry-Edwards bumpersticker on her car.

The employer, Phil Gaddis, CEO of Enviromate, a cellulose insulation company, felt it was perfectly appropriate to express his political opinion to his employees. He enclosed a flyer in their pay envelopes which read as follows:

"Just so you will know, because of the Bush tax (cut):
I was able to buy the new Hammer Mill
I was able to finance our receivables
I was able to get the new CAT skid steer
I was able to get the wire cutter
I was able to give you a job"
You got the benefit of the Bush tax cut. Everyone did."

But when Ms. Gobbell arrived at work in her pro-Kerry car, she was told by Mr. Gaddis and another supervisor that she could "either work for John Kerry or for [Mr. Gaddis]" and summarily fired. Her unemployment compensation will not kick in for about three weeks.

We think it's appropriate at this point for the media to start asking if this is an aberration or if the civil rights of non-conservative-Republican Americans are significantly in danger. We also think Ms. Gobbell needs a good lawyer. Even though employment is largely "at will" in this country, it can't possibly be legal for employers to dictate employees' exercise of fundamental, Constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms.

2 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger sunyassi said...

I remember working at a mechanical engineering job shop during the 1980s for the auto industry. I had a "foreign" car. I also went through a lot of head ache working for the boss at that time. I was supposed to ride with someone else or park down the street. It didn't matter that everything everyone plugged in to an outlet in their homes was made overseas somewhere. So now, being brave still, I proudly display my Kerry flag on my Honda while working for a very conservative boss. I know my rights, and will do everything to preserve them!

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Blue said...

We hear that a lot about cars from people who have worked in the auto industry, or even just lived in the vicinity of Detroit. I've worked in situations where you had to use a laptop made by a client's company. Wouldn't you agree, though, that this story goes beyond that? It really hits at core free speech issues.

P.S. if anyone is interested in letting this company know your thoughts, here's the contact info:

EnviroMate Insulation
13855 Court Street
Moulton, Alabama 35650
Phone: 256.350.0442
Email Address: phil@pgeddes.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home